6 reasons why UWA is the university of choice for international students
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is a dynamic, multicultural university located in Perth, Australia, with a strong focus on research.
Internationally acclaimed for its high academic rankings, UWA offers an unrivalled student experience in an idyllic student city and with strong links to industry.
But what makes it the best choice for international students? Here are 6 reasons why.
1. Achieve a world-class education at a world top 100 university
Ranked 72nd in the world (QS World University Rankings 2024), The University of Western Australia has a 5-star rating for student-teacher ratio, student demand and learning resources (Good Universities Guide 2023).
As global leaders in education, subjects ranked in the world top 150 (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023) at UWA include Accounting and Finance, Biological Sciences, Civil and Structural Engineering, Earth and Marine Sciences, Petroleum Engineering, and Pharmacy and Pharmacology. Whatever subject you want to study, you’ll be in safe hands at UWA.
2. Graduate equipped for future career success
With an established network of 4,500+ industry partnerships, UWA offers you a head start on your career.
You’ll have the opportunity to complete professional work placements during your studies, and in addition to credit-based work experience, there are a number of other skills-building programs and experiences, including:
- volunteering with Guild Volunteering
- connecting with industry professionals through the Career Mentor Link program
- gaining real-world experiences through the Careers and Employability Award.
UWA’s network of professional connections that you could take advantage of include:
- Australian Government
- Australian Institute of Management
- BHP Billiton
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Engineers Australia
- Mitsubishi Development
- Mitsui & Co
- Perth Fashion Festival
- Perth Institute of Contemporary Art
3. Teaching informed by world-leading research
UWA is a public research university and a member of the Group of Eight – a collective of Australia’s leading research-intensive universities.
Home to internationally renowned scholars such as Professor Barry Marshall, an Australian physician and Nobel Prize Laureate in Physiology/Medicine, UWA receives 80% of the research funding for universities in Western Australia. The university also runs 75+ research and training centers, including:
- Centre for Energy – advancing technologies for environmentally friendly use of fuels and energies in the resources industries
- CO2 Lab – world-class carbon-storage research facility
- Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre – AUD $62 million facility for marine science and ocean engineering research
- Pawsey Supercomputing Centre – home to the most powerful supercomputer in the Southern Hemisphere.
4. Perth offers international students an unbeatable lifestyle
Home to 55,000+ international students, Perth is a safe, welcoming and friendly city with a diverse population. Students can get the best of both worlds here – the bright lights of the city as well as Western Australia’s great outdoors.
You’ll study in the sunniest capital city in Australia, with a thriving arts and music scene. Rated the world’s 12th most livable city (Global Liveability Index 2023, Economist Intelligence Unit), it’s also affordable, with a lower cost of living than Sydney and Melbourne (Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2022, Economist Intelligence Unit).
In the city you’ll find numerous international food outlets, markets, galleries and boutiques, while a little further out you’ll discover glistening beaches, ancient caves, forests and woodlands populated with unique wildlife.
Discover more reasons why Perth is the perfect international student destination.
5. Australia’s gateway to Asia
Perth is the closest major Australian capital city to Asia and in the same time zone as 60% of the world’s population (+/- 2.5 hours) – meaning that it’s easier than ever for Asian students to stay connected to home while studying at UWA.
Perth’s international airport offers direct flights across Asia and can easily connect you to prominent cities across the world, including:
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Arab Emirates
6. Unrivalled campus culture to make meaningful connections
Located along the Swan River and within easy reach of Perth’s city center, UWA’s vibrant Perth campus is both an inspiring and picturesque place to study. Make connections with likeminded peers by joining one of more than 160 clubs and societies – ranging from cultural societies and sports clubs to creative and hobby societies.
There’s a UWA club or society for everyone. Meet ups and events put on often include games nights, study groups, quiz nights, art clubs, movie nights and fundraising activities.
UWA strives itself on its campus culture, ensuring that you feel welcomed when you arrive and socially connected throughout your studies. You could:
- volunteer in a cause you care about and meet other students who share your passions
- sign up to be a student mentor and attend special events throughout the year
- join a sports team or watch one of UWA’s huge sporting events
- attend live music events and listen to young emerging artists and local, national or international musical talent
- watch plays and musicals put on by the Dramatic Society
- take part in group prayer or worship on campus
- enjoy Student Guild events such as Wellness Week, women’s panels, mental health workshops and personal development workshops.
You may also like to read 8 unique features that make Perth the perfect international study destination or 7 ways to prepare for studying abroad.